Thursday, 15 September 2011

Schools

It has taken me many weeks to overcome the stock I have felt after taking part in a school tour. I visited an exclusive Melbourne girls school for a morning tour and chat. Why? My intention was to find a girls only schooling for my daughter, one which maybe like my own. On paper the school looks wonderful and I imagine that many of the parents on the tour where ready to sign up on the day. I however came away feeling that it was all so fake. How could I buy into this facade of facts, fancy facilities, amazing stats when all I could feel the school was creating was a monoculture of compliant, well behaved and boring women for the next generation. There were no discipline problem(ie they have children not willing to challenge and expand their horizons?) I started to ask myself why I was there what I was searching for? After many days of discussion with friends and my husband I started to realize that I was looking for sometime that is not going to exist in the main stream private school sector. I think I have become a school snob and expect more! I was looking for a place where my daughter can grow into an independent, strong willed and creative person with a strong sense of character. Private schools seem to have become a status symbol and a factory to generate "yes" people rather than a place of progressive education and a challenge to the status quo. My stock it that I am turning my back on the institution which has educated the last 4 generations of my family.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Melbourne Australia