Thursday, 17 September 2009

Mamatoto- post read reflection


I was concern when pregnant the first time about having a natural birth. Fortunately I trusted my body, my partner and my midwife to have a natural first birth. Second time around I was so busy with a young toddler and trying to complete my studies that I had little time to think about it. I knew my body was going to birth my baby I would just have to trust it. And so my second was birth was natural too.

So what would a two time mother get from reading a birth and pregnancy book now?

Mamatoto was profound. I have found myself reconnecting with my birth experiences and gaining a better sense of self. While the mechanics of birth seem to be in order I do desire a better connection with my body to engage with the pregnancy, birth and postpartum periods. I hope that when I complete my birthing story (ie have the last baby) I am complete in mind and sprite and do not live in a state of what if I have another baby. Unfortunately a women's biological does not stop and we only have a small window of opportunity to have children and can not necessarily practice birth to perfection. This text has opened my eyes to the strength of women worldwide. I feel for women who do not experience birth as nature designed or can not have the number of children they desire. However I am equally strengthened knowing individuals with a deep sense of self and emotional intellect who have been able to resolve the negative emotions with being denied another baby due to infertility and I treasure them a friends.