Tuesday, 15 September 2009

A Letter

My heart pounds a letter from the primary school arrives. Did we get a place or have we missed out. My head spins. But I am relieved when I see there is the prep transition program inside. Wow my first baby is going to start school. Although a milestone he is ready as are we.

I wish I was going back to school. His new year is still based on play so no formal reading or writing, but instead school will foster a love for story and play. I did worry about this delayed reading and writing philosophy when I first encountered Steiner education readings, but now having educated myself in the philosophy I feel very confident that it is a wonderful way to start a child's education. Having studied education this year I have a new founded confidence in the Steiner philosophy and know it will complement our natural and gentle family framework.

We have shied away from the oppressive and rigid routines we have witnessed in other families and have opted to follow our instincts and adapted our choices to suit our children. I believe in doing so we have well grounded, confident and gentle children. I have no doubt that Felix will adjust to school and flourish in an environment where children are treasured as he has in our home where he is also treasured.