Wednesday, 30 August 2006

Matilda is born

The corridor was empty. Doors and counters were all closed. The lights were all on, giving it this surreal feal. I went to the only opening in the wall and politely introduced myself to the lady behind the glass. We made some chitchat over the paper work. I confirmed my address and update the home phone number and my new mobile number. Then I left casualy for the car. That is how I checked sarah into hospital.


At the bottom of the lift I retraced our steps. The spot where Sarah had her contraction that was just too far from the lift to press the button. In my always forseeing efficient way. I tried to leave her here just for a second to press the button and call down a lift, I wanted to just save a few seconds of the wait. I asked her if she can step over 2 more steps. If I just kicked my foot up I could press the button. This efficiency is the last thing that must be on a laboring womens mind as I felt her nails push steadily into my neck, she groaned, she tenced. I calmed her, reminded her to breath, to relax, to let the contraction take hold and do its thing. 20 seconds later we were taking thoes extra 2 steps and I got to eagerly press the elevator button. I felt like a 2 year old kid. I felt silly. She was happy I was there, for the contraction.


Now I was re-tracing these steps. Through the empty carpark I got to our car. Suitcase and pillow, that was it. Was there anything else? I looked around, the place was deserted. Again the mass of concrete and the plain grey paint and bitumen reminded me of a bizarre, lifeless sci-fi world. Even the still darkness out side felt lifeless. Up the elevator and I was again in the squeaky interiors of the hospital. This too lifeless although the light made it just a little more warm and welcoming.


The lady in the window pressed a button and I was in the Family Birth Centre. Suite 2 and I saw my wife. She was standing at the bed. About to battle through another contraction. I got a swiss ball for her to lean on and held her hands across the bed. I watched on as the midwife busily set out mats and towels on the floor below my wife. Was this right? I thought my wife would be going into the shower, that followed by the bath? what where these towels here for. My wife breathed and tensed. Again I talked her through it as best I could.


The midwife told her to go ahead and do what she needed to. She murmered having a poo. Why not send her to the toilet across the room I thought? The midwife smilled and looked across saying "the head is poking out, do you want to feel the baby comming out?" Sarah shook her head and said now in a trembing voice. I thought what? wow! the baby is comming. I again talked sarah through relaxing and letting it happen. I didn't know what was happening. I am sure Sarah did for the baby smothly exited out into the hands of the midwife. A new gem of life was born. There was an intial scream. Sarah dropped to her knees. The midwife and I joined her on the mat, in the middle of this lifeless hospital, devoid of sound, of people. We gatherd in trying to get some of this life which lay before us. Another scream started. Sarah could not work out how to stop it. Matilda was born.