Saturday, 7 April 2012

Camping

We just spent the most enriching and inspiring camping week in NSW we have ever had as a family. Michael drove to Sydney with the camper trailer and dogs while I flew up with the children. Ambrose's god mother meet me at the airport and generously allowed us to stay with her for the night. Michael arrived the next day and after some heated last minute packing we were on our way to the Colo River, 2 hours north of Sydney.

The upper Colo Reserve was magnificent. We swam every day in the slowly receding Colo River which had better sandy stores than most beaches we have ever visited and played for hours making dams castles and miniature river systems. The baby explored nappy free for most of the week and without any limits to were he could explore he played for hours! I stopped! No phone. No iPad. No computer. No time frames. Nothing but the here and now. It took a few days to whined down but when I did I could feel my entire body relax and my patience for my family swell. Starlit nights and a fire were the catalyst for conversations with curious children about dreamtime, bipolar(!), the size of the universe, how the Easter bunny can carry so many eggs, what it is like to be born and why we must ever leave. Thank you Upper Colo we will return and cherish the memories until then.