Sunday, 22 January 2012

To school....

It is only 2 weeks until my daughter starts school and we are ready. Matilda has been ready for sometime and I marvel at her readiness. Socially she has demonstrated her ability to get on with a wide range of people and seems popular with a range of people during our prep play catch ups. Toward the end of last year I did not have any apprehension to her finishing kinder and heading to school although I did worry that she would be bullied a little as she did not stand up for what she really believed. After a few months of her knowing she is off to school that is no longer a problem....

The hope I have for Matilda is that she finds school enriching for her socially and academically. School will be a safe place for her to develop relationships with her peers and adult educators. The stuff they do at school is incidental yet knowing the schools program I know she will be challenged as well as finding success in what she does.

The "mean girl" thing is a worry. Unlike boys girls are social centric and have the vocab which is capable of hurting more than a punch or tussle. I feel that Matilda will have the self belief and confidence to deal well with this but might need some help along the way.

So I look back at the little girl I met five and a half year ago and smile for our time together has been dynamic, refreshing, challenging but most of all a pure enjoyment.