Friday, 29 October 2010

Twins

Off for a routine appointment today at the Birth Center. I mention that I am feeling pretty tired and still sick when I get over tired. The midwife jokes "have we ruled out twins?" I laugh it off "no I am sure I have one baby in there. My blood pressure is perfect. Wonderful I know I will be out of here in 5 minutes. The student midwife measures my fundal height and looks a little confused. The next midwife measures and also looks somewhat bemused. "just hang on a minute I want to get another midwifes opinion.... Great I think something is wrong. " After the 3rd measurement I find out I am measuring 24/25 cm rather than 20 cm. I am 5 weeks bigger than I statistically should be.

I still feel sure there is one baby in there and express this. They have a feel around and don't " feel lots of arms and legs" which is promising but babies can hide and just to make sure they want me to get an ultrasound right away. I smile there I was thinking I wouldn't have an ultrasound this pregnancy and off I was going to get one! At this point I text Michael and mention I am having a scan for twins- He does not laugh but gulp!

I was little nervous waiting for the ultrasound but kept playing over in my head all the reasons why this was a normal one baby pregnancy. Within 10 seconds of the scan my beliefs were confirms- just one baby. A very healthy slightly larger milewski/alexander baby happy floating around in a healthy uterus. Not big enough to change out due date which was fortunate and the measuring 5 weeks over....... My placenta. The amazing organ which is to keep my baby alive and growing is located at the top slight left hand side of the uterus and hence is bulking up my measurements.

I would cope with twins but having one baby at a time is our ideal picture at this stage. Michael and I enjoyed a cafe lunch to celebrate our one healthy baby and discuss names...............