Monday, 14 September 2009

Why I love my family

The spring air is filling me with joy as do my children and husband. I constantly think of them and will welcome them home any minute. The first embrace and hello will reconnect us after a day apart. As they get older my thoughts have move from the legistics of helping them to get dressed, eat and sleep to a more deep and profound one of them as people. I can't wait to talk about the ideas they have and the attitudes they are developing. I am so thankful that both Felix and Tilda are unique. Michael and I try to maintain that

"what is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander".

We cringe when we witness parents asking their child to be more like another. I always internally ask myself "Why would you not want you child to be themselves?"

I feel alone sometimes. I wonder if anyone else sees the world of family the way I do. Thankfully my friends and community do appreciate that children learn to be themselves and I feel comfortable in allowing my child to express who they are even if society says that the is "bad behaviour".

Unfortunately some people do not appreciate this notion. I see my children draw back from possible positive relationships when they are instructed to conform. While I know that they have and will continue to form relationships my hope is that we all accept each other for who we are and not judge.