Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Am I doing the right thing?

It breaks my heart when I leave Tilda at creche. She will cry out. I am assured that it only lasts a few minutes. But the more I read about mental health, social intelligence, anxiety and childcare is only not ideal situation for children under 3. I know children who have not been int eh primary care of their mother or father and they do seem to have social adjustment issues, some children find the pressure of childcare so hard they can't go to the toilet, eat, sleep or relax when away from their parents. Some children even bite or hit when they don't get what they want. Fortunately Tilda does not suffer from these issues. I feel this is because the centre she goes to is based on steiner and Montessori's philosophies and the staff ratios exceed the state requirements. How childcare centers can run with 1/5 ratios for under 3 is beyond me. Most days I arrive there are carers sitting cuddling the children- something I have rarely seen at other centers. So I ask myself and will continue to do so: Am I doing the right thing?