Sunday, 3 June 2007

Felix Breastfeeding Story

Breastfeeding Log of Felix Christopher

In the beginning………….

My EDD had come and gone and I was 12 days over due, very uncomfortable and very ready to give birth. Saturday morning 4am(7/8/04) I went to the toilet and went back to bed and had a contraction. In the nights preceding this one I had had a few contraction each night around the same time. Usually after around 3 they would stop. But today was finally the day. After around 5 contractions I woke up Michael to tell him! I couldn't sleep I was so excited and relieved. I had been booked in to be induced for the coming Tues morning! At 5:30am I rang my mum to let her know that things would be happening today and that we would call when it nearly time to go to hospital.

After a little breakfast at 7am Michael started to recorded when the contractions were happening- they were 5 minutes apart but no too strong. I wanted to get some fresh air so we walked the two dogs (Asparagus & Zucchini) to the park and arrived home a few hours later. I found the contraction would stop me walking for a few moments- but I felt great otherwise. I rang the Birthing Centre to let them know that I was in the early part of labour and that we would ring later in the day.

The day seemed to drag on and we played cards, ate and read with contractions every 5 minutes! At around 4 pm- 12 hours after the first contraction my mum rang and during the conversation I have a particularly bad contraction. Having her voice at the end of the line made me a little emotional and I started to cry- so she decided to come over (she was around 1 hour away). When mum arrived - 1 hour later- I was pacing around the house during contractions and did not ANYONE near me. During the breaks I was happily chatting and trying the eat. Michael decided to go for a walk and get the dogs tired as we where in for a big night.

At 5:30pm I got into the bath and for the next hour was having contractions every 5minutes and trying to sleep in between. When Michael returned from his walk we rang the birth centre. They want to speak to me but I was suddenly having contraction back to back. One would stop I would breath in and the next one was starting again. I think Michael was getting a little nervous and decided that we should get to the hospital. The next 1/2 hour was such a blur- you would think that being 12 days over I would be packed but No- last minute items were thrown into our bag- "where is the birth plan Sarah?" "I don't Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!" I had several contractions on the freeway and felt as if I was on a roller coaster.

When we pulled up in front of the hospital approx 9pm- I got really worried about what other people would think of me! Lets just say I had no contractions from the car to the birthing centre- my body just stopped. The minute I was in my room BINGO we started again! I just could get comfortable. I just wanted to get back into a bath.A bath was ran for me and Michael and I hopped it- Oh what relief! Michael held my head above the water for the next 3 hours. I would fall totally asleep between contraction and had dreams! At around 11:30pm I had some really really painful contractions so Michael suggested that gas might help me. It did. It was not that the pain was not there but that I didn't mind the pain.

I started to push- no-one said to and I had not control. The midwife did an internal and tried to tell me not to push! She said to puff instead as I was not fully dilated. COME ON. I tried for 1 contractions but there was not way I could control my body it just wanted to push. 1/2 hour later the midwife says "Sarah you are going to have you baby in the next 10 minutes" I couldn't believe it.

So I pushed! Michael held me up in the bath and Mum held the Dolphin torch for the midwife so she could see under the water. 10 minutes later Felix was born in the bath. He was put on my stomach and I just kept saying "Hello" "Your Perfect!".

(Felix was born at 12:57am 08/08/2004 and weighted 4.66kg (10pound 4 1/2 oz))

In the bath Felix nuzzled at my breast but did not appear to wan to feed straight away. ½ hour after birth has first feed little awkward as I was a little sore and found sitting a little uncomfortable, but with support from Michael and the Midwife he latched well and feed for around 1 hour on both sides (1/2 hour on each side)

Felix and went to sleep. I woke up the next morning a little anxious that he had not woken up for a feed- I was really worried that I needed to establish my milk supply. We woke him up around midday 12 hours after birth for another feed he latched again well and feed from both breasts. I learnt to hand express and would cover my nipples with colostrum after each feed. I would strip my top half as I found the easiest way to see what I was doing.

When Felix was 18hour old he wanted to feed every 15 minutes this continued for 12 long hours but as quickly as it started we settled down again feeding was a little more spaced out again. My change in milk seemed to happen at around day 4 or 5 and my boobs doubled in size.

I would demand feed all the time if he cried I feed him- it seemed like the only way to stop him crying- it worked it was easy and the crying stopped immediately.

Early Hours of Breastfeeding
Sleeping

We have co-slept from birth. It has meant that feeding is done on demand over night and both parents get heaps of sleep. We were a little worried about rolling onto Felix in the beginning however you don’t quite sleep as deeply and we have never had a rolling issue. From around 6 months of age we place a cot next to the bead to make a little more room so we can all stretch out. The only time we have ‘lost’ sleep has been when he is sick and unable to feed due to a blocked nose- I wish they could be taught to blow their noses as easily as learning to suck!

When people ask does he sleep through I don’t really answer the question. My husband on the other hand will say- “Do you?” as he goes on to say don’t you wake up for a drink or to go to the toilet in the middle of the night why wouldn’t a baby want to do the same?


Felix Sleeping February 2005

Introducing other foods

Food. Wow what an issue. With a European mother-in-law wanting start solids from the day we came home from hospital it was some what daunting to start solids when Felix was 6 months old. From the way people talk I expected him to want to eat from the moment I would let him but that was not the case. We started at 6months but it was really more like experimenting until he was almost 9 months old. He would taste food and spit it out, swallow it or play with it.

At 9 ½ months solid food only make up 20-30% of he daily/nightly intake. I find though that he will eat more solids when I am not around but will prefer breastmilk if available.


Felix eating banana April 2005

Why I love being a Mummy

Because when you become a mummy it is in your bones- you can’t describe it fully! I read somewhere that all the love songs ever written are not about the love between a man and a woman they are really about the love between a mother and child.

Feeding and work

I started back 2 days a week to finish my Masters of Science when Felix was 4 months old. For the first few months my mum helped out looking after Felix at home. I would express breastmilk or pop home ever few hours to feed him. It was very tiring and hard for all involved. I would express in either the parenting room in the union building or in an office in the chemistry centre. I initially used a hand pump but then moved onto a hired mechanical pump. The mechanical pump speed up the process however I didn’t really enjoy the process and got very little milk out, as my letdowns were very short and I missed Felix.

When Felix was 5 months old he started at Crèche on campus- this made breastfeed much easier. Every 2-3 hour I would pop over to feed him or put him to sleep. We have both really settled into our work arrangements now. I have started to study full-time and still pop over up to 3 times at day to feed and see Felix.

Felix has also accompanied me on several field trips. Over several days we travel to pick up water samples in Victoria’s High country. I was during one of these trips I discovered that I could feed him while sitting in the back seat while driving. I was not driving the car of course but we both still our seat belts!


Field Trip Feb 2004

Sport and Extra Curricular

I was a member of the Australian Canoe Polo Team when I feel pregnant and was back into a boat 6 weeks after he was born. I also play competitive netball and was selected to be in the Australian Team for canoe polo in January 05. I have never found Felix to be fussy when I feed him after exercise so I assume he is not fazed by any lactic acid in the breastmilk or my body doesn’t change the milk radically. However I have to really careful as my supply does drop and I need to have extra fluids and feed more often when at competitions.


Feeding and illness

At two days of age Felix got sick in hospital and need a course of antibiotics. When the antibiotics was injected into his little it was very painful. I would feed him when they did it- it felt like my only way to help him- I felt so powerless but at least I could have him really close to me.

We have had our bouts of colds and coughs. When Felix has been really blocked up (ie nose) breastfeeding has been challenging. Suck Suck Breath! But on the upside… in April 2005 Felix go Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease and would not east anything but good old breastmilk as his throat was really sore.


Felix 4 days old with “robot arm” an IV for antibiotics


I hear to many people say, “I wish I could have breastfeed for longer but……………”. I want to help change the mind-set and make breastfeeding the norm! Ok so I want to change the world- but I think you need to aim high!

My baby